Google document link for today’s plan. Also pasted below.
- Mindful moment. (purpose and techniques)
- Read plan for the day.
Digital Science Notebook/Portfolio Discussion
Use the Science 8 folder that has been established with google classroom. Rename to: Science 8 Period __ Your name.
Share (editing access) with Dr. F.
- Purpose: To sustain engagement with science class. To help you REMEMBER, THINK, LEARN! To keep track of BIG IDEAS and SIGNIFICANT DETAILS. To follow the development of your thinking and learning.
- Demonstrate Participation, Effort, Responsibility, Perseverance.
- Defining what needs to be included
- Typical notes (things to remember; often written on board; included in plans, etc.)
- Things that we/you do
- Things that we/you see (observations, results, data, etc.)
- Things that we/you talk about (in large and small groups, in presentations, even readings
- At least one sketch of something from the class that helps you remember and think. Does not have to be an object–though it could. Could be an idea, a diagram, a process, anything where you create a visual image related to experience and thinking from class.
- At least one photograph (not writing on the board) that captures something important to help you remember, think, learn. You could use photos to help you remember what to write for a, b, c, d, and g.
- A reflection on what you think, wonder, question, imagine, learn from the experiences and ideas from the class.
- Ideas for demonstrating complete and up-to-date? Every class represented.
- Ideas for accountability? (Learning habit evidence for responsibility and perseverance?)
- Lists to keep in addition to class entries. A. Partner list with people, topics, activities, dates. B. Word list–new words with information about their meaning and use. C. Reference list with annotations (Citation, kind of resource, summary, quality, personal reaction).
- Projects and assignments.
Discussion of dissolving and solubility.
What do you think and expect:
What happens when something dissolves? What are the various ideas students have? How do students “picture” dissolving?
For each group. Develop a method for determining the maximum amount of salt (in grams) that can be dissolved in 100 grams of water at room temperature. Compare this amount to the maximum amount of sugar that can dissolve in 100 grams of water at room temperature. Try it when there is time in class.
Extension: If a saturated sugar solution is used, how much salt could be dissolved in 100 grams of the solution? How would the amount compare to the amount of salt that could be dissolved in water only? What do you expect? Why?
The following were to have been completed for today.
BE SURE you have read the document Fundamental Questions about Matter: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12KcbOiZS8xVLyyTmicPssKSvG8LjBPi5SHaGhl0UenE/edit?usp=sharing . Ask questions.
BE SURE you have “shopped around” for a periodic table of elements app for your Ipad and have downloaded at least one. You may download another if you like.. Find an app that looks interesting and start learning to use it. Be ready to demonstrate for the class. Ask questions.