Mindful moment–review and reflect on previous DSN entry and blogpost–Letter from the Earth. What is special about our “pale blue dot?” (See Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan):
- Take 5 minutes to do this:
- Remember to upload material (excerpts from your writing, photos and sketches with captions/explanations, video links (accessible by everyone)) to this folder for parent newsletter #2. Need pictures of students in action–chemical reactions project, scale model solar system, sun earth moon model. Start with Chemical reaction summative through Astronomy scale model, Sun Earth Moon Model, extraterrestrial intelligence. You need to be represented in the newsletter: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eUDDiBpks6wN0IWB5iu0gAHAVbL-4Qlr?usp=sharing
See other references to the work of Carl Sagan in the previous blog.
- * * * *
Messages sent into space
- how does light travel?
- how do radio waves travel?
- what is electro-magnetic radiation and in what ways is it wavelike?
- how can e-m radiation (radio, light, etc.) carry information?
* * * * *
The movie Contact (based on the Novel Contact by Carl Sagan)
List your questions.
* * * * *
References posted in previous blogpost:
- Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence
- The Golden Record
- Chris Hadfield (astronaut) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hadfield
- Major Tom by Peter Schilling https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schilling
- Kim Boekbinder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Boekbinder
- The Sky Is Calling https://kimboekbinder.bandcamp.com/album/the-sky-is-calling-2
- The Drake Equation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
- Frank Drake first contact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmfC51FstIg
- Listen to Boekbinder’s Stellar Alchemy and relate to the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram (Stellar Evolution)
- Carl Sagan
- Contact—audio book
- Contact explained
- First contact movies
- Neil deGrasse Tyson