On a piece of lined paper:
- Describe density in your own words. How can the differences in the densities of water, sunflower oil, and ethanol be explained? Make a sketch of your idea.
- What was challenging for you in determining the densities of water, sunflower oil, and ethanol?
- What do you think happens when substances like salt and sugar dissolve in water? Make a sketch of your idea.
The results from previous class:
- Make super-saturated solutions with 3 substances (see board) and hot water.
- Let the solutions cool in petri dishes.
- If time, silver crystals from a reaction of copper and silver nitrate.
Observe Brownian motion.
- Guidelines for using microscopes.
- Making slides of diluted milk.
- Recording observations.
Discuss the density results. dissolving and solubility.
Relate observations to the atomic theory of matter (also called the molecular theory of matter or the kinetic-molecular theory of matter).
Use the chart below to help you organize your observations and ideas about matter:
Consider these big questions (KEEP IN VIEW-KIV QUESTIONS AND IDEAS):
- What can we observe about the structure and behavior of matter?
- How can we explain what we observe (at the scale of our senses) by structures, entities, and behaviors at a scale we cannot see?
- How can such explanations be tested?
LARGE SCALE OBSERVATIONS
ATOMIC-MOLECULAR SCALE STRUCTURES AND BEHAVIORS
Be sure to examine the following references:
Review the document: Fundamental-questions-about-matter
Extensions for our study of matter–The Periodic Table
See the following videos–express your ideas and questions.
Hunting the Elements
World within World from the Ascent of Man by Jacob Bronowski
- BBC Element Series: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01rcrn6/episodes/guide
- Chlorine: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01x361w
- Chlorine: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0227g8t
- Tungsten: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0239kq0
- Nitrogen: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01zwmrr
- Nitrogen: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01zgqf5
- Sodium: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01xt3qb
- Sodium: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p022qhjk
- Helium: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01l0jcs
- Mercury: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01lw88j
- Gold: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01mdn4j
- Bromine: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29376436
- Aluminum: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01lh2ws
- Phosphorus: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01kkknj
- Phosphorus and Helium: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01rzdjc
- Rare Earths: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01tq60p
- Carbon: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01scjj2
- Carbon energy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01pgpz3
- Carbon materials: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01pz6yx
- Carbon diamonds: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01swtqy
- Calcium: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01sl4ft
- Vanadium: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0209zlz
- Sulphur: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p022gs9g
- Lithium: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01wp49r
- Lithium: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p021syjk
- Tin: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25977432
- Tin: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01qc1q1
- Tin: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01srgrz
- Elements: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/elements
Elements and the economy:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01rcrn6/episodes/guide