Planning a chemistry investigation:
- Investigate chemical reaction with models.
(this is a description of the overall reaction which occurs in several steps)
- Summarize all information about reactions—post in portfolio.
- Summarize all techniques used so far—post in portfolio.
- Use textbook and other resources to research reactions—especially the one you choose to investigate.
- Select a question to investigate.
- Propose a procedure in detail (partners in procedure only; may share data—report written entirely by individual). Should yield quantifiable data.
- Get proposal approved.
Compare previously studied reactions (alka seltzer and water –citric acid and baking soda) (vinegar and baking soda) with other reactions.
Baking soda = sodium hydrogen carbonate
Washing soda = sodium carbonate
Chalk = calcium carbonate
Rate of reaction. Investigate the effect of some variable on the rate of reaction.
Combining proportions. Find out the amounts of starting reactants required for a complete reaction. Relate to amounts of products. Model the reaction.